This year, Aspen/Snowmass has been chosen to host the overall start of the 2013 US Pro Challenge
on August 19th and 20th. During the June 6 Marketing, Special Events, & Group Sales Board meeting, a team led by Nancy Lesley, Aspen Director of Special Events & Marketing (who is in her third year coordinating the event) delivered a presentation on what this race could bring to Aspen/Snowmass in hopes of receiving Board approval for an event budget.
Photo from http://www.aspenupcc.com/
There are more than a dozen regional partners involved with the overall start of the race, all of which have been collaborating for the last few months to determine what needs to happen to make the event successful.
"We proposed a circuit race between Aspen and Snowmass Village so racers and fans never left the community," said Lesley. "The race will essentially be a 2.5-hour commercial for our region, but to put our best foot forward, it will take a Village."
Why it's a good fit
What it brings to Snowmass Village
- It attracts America's most desirable consumer base. Pro Challenge fans have an average annual household income of $110,000
- It's the largest spectator event in Colo., attracting more than one million visitors in 2012
- It gives viewers an up-close and personal view of the world's best cyclists, including two podium winners from the Tour de France
- TV coverage of the event is massive. The event is live broadcast in 175 countries and territories. Some directly correlate to our Winter visitors - they recognize the Aspen/Snowmass name, and may see Aspen/Snowmass for the first time in the summer.
- It garners a great deal of media attention. In 2012, 6,105 articles featured the race in prominent publications including the NYTimes, USA Today, Outside Magazine, Associated press and others
- The event has a huge social media presence. Tour tracker online received more than 261,000 visitors.
Due to our ample lodging stock, all race teams, support staff, security, and media will be staying in Snowmass Village, making our community "race HQ." Bill Tomcich, President of StayAspenSnowmass gave an overview of room number projections for the week leading up to the race, and the race-day itself.
"The lodging community has been very energetic about the possibilities of bringing the race here," said Robert Sinko, Board Chair and General Manager of the Crestwood.
Snowmass Tourism, in collaboration with the City of Aspen, ACRA, and Medalist Sports are working to finalize the schedule of lead-up activities and programming.
"We're not just looking at this as a Monday and Tuesday race," said Lesley. "We're building a full week of activities so if you are a cycling fan and coming out for the US Pro Challenge, you don't want to come anywhere but Aspen/Snowmass. This event really ties our two communities together."
So...what will this cost?
According to Snowmass Tourism, approximately $112,700 will be needed in addition to our regular summer budget for Town services such as trash pickup and security, advertising (locally, domestically, and internationally, and pre-event programming. A full breakdown of potential costs can be found on our website
Lesley was asked if this is a long-term investment. She pointed out that our geography and brand make Aspen/Snowmass attractive to race organizers, but "maybe," was her frank response. "If we hit it out of the ballpark, we are more likely to attract this event back."
A funding request for the US Pro Challenge is on the agenda for the regular meeting of the Snowmass Village Town Council on Monday, June 17th at 4:00. You can view the full agenda and packet materials here
Keeping up-to-date on the latest news and developments on lead-up events and community impacts is important, but also easy! Here's how:
- Visit the official race website aspenupcc.com for the latest information
- Attend community meetings to be advertised soon in Aspen and Snowmass Village
- Subscribe to PitkinAlert to receive notifications on traffic impacts or safety announcements
- Subscribe to TOSV e-lerts for news specific to the Snowmass Village community.
We look forward to keeping you up-to-date on all of the exciting race details and events as they continue to develop.